Connie Henke Yarbro Excellence in Cancer Nursing Mentorship Award
Recipients attending the ONS Congress® will be invited to meet with Connie Henke Yarbro and will be presented with this award at the Oncology Nursing Foundation reception or other programs.
Applications Open: November 1, 2022
Application Due: February 15, 2023
Applicants notified via email by: March 2023
Note: An individual cannot receive this award more than one time.
Award: Recipient receives special recognition through a range of Oncology Nursing Foundation platforms, press recognition through Oncology Nursing Foundation, including, but not limited to, a feature in the Oncology Nursing Foundation newsletter, a feature on the Oncology Nursing Foundation website, and a press release sent to list of colleagues and workplace provided by the winner.
Purpose: To recognize and support excellence in the mentorship of oncology nurses.
Nomination: A nominator must submit the application to recognize the nominee/mentor. Nominees may be an oncology nurse (ONS member or non-member) or ONS Chapter that meets the qualifications outlined below.
To be eligible for the award, the nominee must:
- Be a registered nurse with at least two years of experience in oncology nursing or a Chapter established for at least two years.
- Have provided mentoring outside what is expected within work or employment responsibilities
- Demonstrate excellence in the mentorship of others in the practice of oncology nursing in the academic, clinical, or research setting.
The primary selection focus is the nominee’s contribution to mentoring oncology nurses outside their work-related responsibilities.
Support Letters: The nominator must provide at least 2 letters in support of the nominee that describes:
- How the nominee has participated in mentoring relationships. Be sure to include those qualities that distinguish the nominee.
- The types of mentoring in which the nominee has participated (academic, clinical, research)
- The outcomes of the relationship between the nominee and those mentored
- If the mentored individual works with the nominee, the letter must clearly describe how this mentoring went beyond what would be expected in an employment role.
Points to Consider:
- Do not wait until the last day to start an application as a quality and competitive application will take time to complete.
- We suggest that you use your time wisely by getting a head start and collecting any additional required items such as the name and email address of someone writing your letter of recommendation before you begin.
- Your essay responses should be of good quality, in terms of grammar, punctuation, syntax, conciseness, and ability to answer the question. Ensure you submit a detailed response and use the word count to your advantage.
- To strengthen your application, use free online tools such as Grammarly and have someone read over your application to ensure accurate spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
How To Apply:
- Use the link below to start your application.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- All questions must be submitted to the Foundation prior to 4:30 pm Eastern Time on the day of the application due date in order to receive a response prior to the deadline.
- No late applications will be accepted, and all applications must be submitted through the application platform.
Application deadline: 2023-02-15Apply Online
2022 Award Recipient
Past Award Winners
|Erica Fischer-Cartlidge||2021||Judith Payne||2010|
|Mei Fu||2020||Jane Armer||2009|
|Jeannine Brant||2019||Joan Haase||2008|
|Susan Mazanec||2018||Jean Brown||2007|
|Mary Elizabeth Davis||2017||Susie Maloney-Newton||2006|
|Laura Benson||2016||Marilyn Haas||2005|
|Pamela Ginex||2015||Judi Johnson||2004|
|Nancy Houlihan||2014||Christine Gatlin||2003|
|Phyllis Kaldor||2013||Brenda Shelton||2002|
|Bertie Fields||2012||Patricia Buchsel||2001|
|Karen Moore||2011||Shirley Gullo||2000|